Kylie Verzosa – City of Pines Pride

Miss International 2016 Kylie Verzosa during her Homecoming, Grand Parade and Charity Dinner in the City of Pines, Baguio City.


With the author during the Charity Dinner
at Baguio Country Club Infinity Garden.

“I believe that it is with developing in each of us sensitivity to other cultures that we expand our horizons, tolerate difference, and appreciate diversity. I believe I'm prepared to take on this responsibility if I become Miss International”
Kylie personifies women empowerment. Joining beauty pageants was originally not part of her plans. But one day she thought could have a better chance to be heard and pursue her advocacy by having a crown on her head and a beauty title. 
When the host announced “Miss International 2016 goes to… Miss Philippines,” Kylie Verzosa could not believe it. “This moment has only happened in my dreams,” Verzosa gushed while being crowned, looking stunned and staring in disbelief as tears fell from her eyes. “I worked very hard for this. I did the best I could, but I was not ready for this,” Verzosa described how she felt at that exact moment. 
“Even if I did not win, I would still be very proud because I knew I did the best that I could,” the 24-year-old, Baguio girl added on hindsight. She became the country’s sixth Miss International winner and the oldest to win among the other five Filipina Miss International title-holders with Gemma Cruz and Aurora Pijuan winning at 20, Precious Lara Quigaman at 22, Bea Rose Santiago at 23 and Melanie Marquez who won barely in her teen at 15, the youngest Miss International winner.
Verzosa described her Miss International stint as very tough with the contestants having to attend three events in one day. For her, it was a test of strength and will, patience and determination. Prayers helped a lot and she wore a rosary bracelet on her wrist during the contest. “She would keep reminding us to always pray for her, especially, on the night of the pageant,” Verzosa’s mother, Gemma Racquel Verzosa, revealed.
          When asked if it was her dream to become a beauty queen, she answered, “not really, but my Mom is.” Gemma was a semi-finalist in Bb. PIlipinas 1985 and has been Kylie’s number one supporter. Kylie, who is the eldest among five siblings, describes her as most supportive, loving and kind woman, someone who would kill for her.
“Growing up, she loves to read and preferred being alone, but she gets along well with friends,” her proud father Ari told reporters. Kylie studied elementary at Baguio Achievers Academy and High School at St. Louis University Laboratory.
“I remember climbing trees in our village with my cousins up to 10-11 years old. I’m proud of my province Baguio. I love the beautiful sceneries filled with greens, fresh air, great food and the people are just lovely,” Kylie said about what she remembers and most proud of about her home province.
Kylie took up Business Management at the Ateneo de Manila University while starting her modeling career.  She would use her earnings to help support her through college. She went to Barcelona as an exchange student. She was working as a pre-school teacher at Playschool International in Bonifacio Global City when she joined the Bb. Pilipinas search in 2015.
An Aquarian, born on February 7, 1992, Kylie likes to socialize and meet interesting people. She was a Lola’s girl. In her spare time when at home, she would love to listen to music all day long and is used to bake cupcakes and brownies as giveaways for her grandmother’s birthday.
“I would continue with my advocacy on promoting mental health awareness, especially, among the youth to help address prevention of depression and anxiety.   I would like to put up my own foundation. We are in this world for others, to add value to others is the purpose of life,” Kylie said during the Homecoming and Charity Dinner hosted for her by the Baguio Country Club and local officials. Words by Eton B. Concepcion / Photos: Baguio City Police Station, Emma Kris Dickson-de Guzman and Maricris Delavin



Comments